Make and frost this old-fashioned double-layer cake a day or two in advance. Keep it covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The tangy buttermilk as well as applesauce in the batter will help to keep the cake moist
Ingredients For the Caramel Cake
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup expeller-pressed canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup jarred caramel dessert sauce or dulce de leche
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- For the Apple Frosting
- 5 cups (about 1 pound) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch fine sea salt
- Dried apple slices (optional)
For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease as well as flour two (9-by-2-inch) round cake pans and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon as well as salt. Set aside.In a second large bowl, beat sugar and oil together with an electric mixer until well combined, about 30 seconds. Add applesauce, dulce de leche and vanilla, beat for 30 seconds, then add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk, and continuing to beat until well combined.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of each cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Set aside to let cool for 10 minutes, then gently loosen cakes and turn out onto a cooking rack then set aside to let cool completely.
For the frosting, put sugar, butter, cider, cinnamon as well as salt into a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Arrange one cake on a large plate and spread about 2/3 cup of the frosting evenly over the top. Arrange second cake on top then frost top and sides of entire cake with remaining frosting.
Decorate with dried apple slices before setting aside at room temperature or in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow frosting to set before serving.
Per Serving: 550 calories (160 from fat), 19g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 60mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 92g carbohydrates, (3 g dietary fiber, 67g sugar), 6g protein.